Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Try something different by blending minced pork with delicious chestnut mushrooms for a healthy alternative to a typical burrito. Finish with the quintessential flavours of Mexico by adding sriracha to kidney beans.
For the pork and mushroom blend larb
- 400g chestnut mushrooms, finely diced by hand or in a food processor
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g pork mince
- Fresh ginger, 2 inch piece
- Large bunch of coriander
- 2 red chillis
- Small bunch of mint
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
For the salsa
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans
- Small bunch of coriander
- Olive oil, drizzle
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the burrito
- 400g rice
- 4 tortilla wraps
- Sriracha, to taste
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Add your vegetable oil to a wok followed by your pork mince. As it starts to brown, get on with the mushrooms. Slice them up and run your knife over them, cutting them into very small pieces. Add them into the wok with the pork mince and mix together thoroughly. Once the mince has browned, take it out of the wok and set aside.
- Get your rice on (see pack instructions).
- Next, chop up your ginger into strips, chop up your coriander stalks, red chillis, mint stalks and dice your onion, add them all to the wok and stir. Next, add the fish sauce and the soy sauce. Mix everything together and allow the sauce to bubble.
- Once bubbling, add your pork mushroom mince. Chop up the rest of your coriander (leave 2 handfuls for later) and mint and add this to your mince.
- To make the salsa, chop up your tomatoes and mix them with the kidney beans and 1 handful of the remaining coriander. Add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Prepping station. Take your tortilla and add 2 tbsp of rice. Next, drizzle your Sriracha over the rice and sprinkle a pinch of your coriander over the top. Take 2 tbsp of the pork mushroom mince over the rice and top it off with the salsa. To roll the burrito: fold the sides in and gently roll it until you reach the end.
- Once folded lightly toast either side on a frying pan until the tortilla begins to brown, take it off the heat and wrap it up in some foil. Repeat this process 3 times and then tuck into these beautiful burritos.