Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Stuff your roasted mushrooms with a gorgeous blitz of chestnut mushrooms and vegetable stock to pack a bunch of sweet and spicy flavours and rich nutrition into your meal.
For the stuffed peppers
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 160g pearl barley
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp Ras el hanout
- 4 bell peppers, tops cut off and deseeded
For the tomato sauce
- 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley, chopped
- Heat the oven to 190c.
- Bring the stock to boil and add the pearl barley. Cook for 10 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Heat a sauté pan with the rapeseed oil. Gently fry the mushrooms for a couple of minutes. Mix in the pearl barley and Ras el hanout.
- Make the sauce by blitzing together the plum tomatoes, purée, ground coriander, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper with the barley mix. Put in a small oven dish and pour over the sauce. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes, until soft but still holding their shape. Serve immediately with a good sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.