Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Filled with a delectable array of ingredients including apricots, onions, mushrooms and chicken, this chicken tagine is a succulent dish, served with couscous, tangy lemon and fresh coriander.
- 300g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp saffron (not essential)
- 100g apricots, halved
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (if required)
- Large handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Take a casserole pot that you can use on the stove or a large saucepan or frying pan with a lid. Fry the chicken olive oil until nicely browned, remove from the pan to a plate.
- Add more olive oil and gently cook the onions, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and cumin over a low heat until soft and leaves a lovely fragrant smell in the air.
- Add the chicken back to the pan with the tomatoes, saffron if using, lemon, apricots and stock. Season with salt and milled pepper and bring to a steady simmer, cook for about 25 minutes. Just before serving add the chopped coriander and serve with hot couscous.