Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
The ultimate comfort food, the mushroom tom kha gai is a concoction of flavours including the coconut broth, lemongrass and kaffir lime and a subtle but effective hint of chilli to add a little kick.
- 6 large or 12 small chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- Thumb sized piece of galangal or ginger, finely sliced
- 2 sticks of lemongrass, bruised and sliced into 3cm pieces
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 3 red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 tins of 440ml coconut milk
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Dash of vegan fish sauce
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Bunch of coriander, chopped
- 200g cooked rice noodles
- Place the galangal (or ginger), lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, shallot and chillies into a saucepan along with the coconut milk and heat slowly, gently stirring occasionally.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and bring just below the boil.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, the lime juice and fish sauce.
- Add the chopped coriander and lime zest and serve straight away with the noodles and extra lime wedges and chilli slices on the side.